Central Beach Inn - Sri Lanka

Central Beach INN - Mirissa


Oh what an amazing experience. Never thought when I left Canada that I would experience such blatant racism. I mean blatant as in, in your face, in front of everyone, throw the kitchen sink at it racism.

For those who have the unfortunately time to go to this lovely little bar/eating area on the Mirissa Beach in Southern Sri Lanka, let me paint a picture.

Me a brown Canadian (you already know my history) went to this particular beach strip with - mind you some quite good looking women - and some decent local guys as well. My first experience.

The beach is full of beautiful people, as is the Southern strip of the country. A lot of bikini clad millennials, moving swiftly through the sand with sun glistening on their toned tanned bodies. More women than men on this beach, clearly. It must be a "safe" spot.

Me, dressed in my Toronto Raptors jersey hanging out having some beers, minding my own business, when I found this on the floor (read the WHOLE thing, till the END) :


Now I understand that Sri Lankan's may not understand this or the impact it has. To them it's probably a flyer and the end of it, it's normal. Even my girl friend at the time said the typical thing a Sri Lanka with no backbone would say "That is the way so..".

I think the should have been the first sign to get the fuck out of there. 

I initially thought, ok maybe this is from a place that's owned by white people, you know to make sure no hassle or unfortunate incidences occurs. Then I asked a few people at our table and confirmed, Nope, its a local place.

I ignored it and went on. We had drinks next door to Central Beach Inn see if we could have some drinks as well and they apparently have great coffee. This was now mid day.

We were greeted by a Beach boy waiter, who clearly was nice and offered us some tables outside. Which was fine but I and one of the others proceeded inside to the bar area just to see if there were spots. This is when it all got Erie.

As we proceeded, in we were met by a few beach boys and given the cold shoulder to which then I had to asked the waiter who initially invited us to the table outside, "are we not allowed here?"

He was quite nice and replied in in English (and I will never forget this) - "thats why I got the table outside"

The others from the group were not happy, began to argue (non violently) with the waiters and the girls in the group (who were very very hot - meaning good-looking) began to causes a usually hissy fit. 

I have been through racism, so I know the feeling. That act in your stomach, that feeling your just as good as sand in a river, you are worth nothing. 

This is when the shit hit the fan. I won't ever forget a dark brown skinned beach boy asking me "where are you from?"

I asked him, "what?"

He again proceeded "where are you from?" . I was wearing a Toronto Raptors jersey. I pointed at it and said "Canada, see read, Toronto".

Being a beach boy who makes less money than a garbage man from my home town, I didn't expect him to understand. And of course he did not.

The arguments escalated and I remember the final nail in the coffin. Some of the waiters laughing at us while we walked out. Heres one (I won't forget that face) :

Guy on the left corner.

I won't forget his smile. It was actually very nice, inviting and friendly.

So, we got kicked out of this place form being the same colour as the people that worked there. Embarrassing. Pathetic. 

There was however some retribution. After going after them online and informing everyone I knew, this article was published, and boy was a good one :

http://www.dailynews.lk/2016/01/26/editorial/probe-mirissa-apartheid

There more articles like this and more stories if you just visit the "Paradise" Island.

Im proud though to go through it. It shows that the Island is not a Diamond in the Rough, more like Rough posing as a Diamond.

Adios, till next time.
White skin rulez ? heh

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BURNING DOWN THE HOUSE : ;-)

This is the End .... The Doors (Sri Lanka Version)